Thursday, March 7, 2024

The Passion of Christ


Passion of Christ Part IX

If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross and follow me. 

  John 12:5–8 (NJB): Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor?’  6 He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief; he was in charge of the common fund and used to help himself to the contents. 7 So Jesus said, ‘Leave her alone; let her keep it for the day of my burial. 8 You have the poor with you always, you will not always have me.’ Here, Judas Escariot complains about the ointment with which St Mary Magdalene anointed Jesus. He is questioning why spending so much money to show respect to Jesus when you might sell it and donate it to the poor. His purpose was not to give this money to the impoverished, but to keep a portion of it for personal use. Jesus foresaw his suffering and death on the Cross, therefore he told let her use it for his burial. What a wonderful devotion and love he showed this unfortunate person for her deed of love and respect.

  Is 50: 7-9, Lord Yahweh comes to my help, this is why insult has not touched me, this is why I have set my face like flint and know that I shall not be put to shame. 8 He who grants me saving justice is near! Who will bring a case against me? Let us appear in court together! Who has a case against me? Let him approach me! 9 Look, Lord Yahweh is coming to my help! Who dares condemn me? Look at them, all falling apart like moth-eaten clothes! Jesus is requesting his Father for help, and he is confident that his Father would not abandon him. There was no evidence that he deserved punishment. Jesus is suggesting that everyone will break apart on their own due to their improper vices, unclean practices, and wicked ways. 

  Matthew 16:24–25 (NJB): If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 Anyone who wants to save his life will lose it; but anyone who loses his life for my sake will find it. Jesus is calling us to follow him by carrying our own crosses, surrender ourselves, and abandon all the conveniences of our modern world. Even if we sacrifice our life for Christ, it is a blessing. You are aware that the 21 Egyptian martyrs killed in Libya by the Islamic State were all willing to accept the cross for the sake of Jesus. They never lose trust in Jesus our Lord. The persecutors asked them to abandon their Christian beliefs and convert to Islam. They accepted death for the sake of God and became martyrs. What a magnificent faith these victims possessed, which we can all experience in this twenty-first century. Their example of the martyrdom makes us to keep our enthusiasm for the faith in Jesus and sacrifice ourselves for his kingdom. 


  


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Light and Darkness

  Part XXXXVI Lord, let Your Light brings us the uprightness and uplift our faith in You   Jesus' act of passion and death on the Cross ...