Friday, March 29, 2024

The Passion of Christ

 


Passion of Christ Part XVI

Maundy Thursday Reflection

‘Pray not to be put to the test.’ 

   Three significant events took place on Maundy Thursday in the Catholic Church. Br Aby spoke explicitly about these Sacraments last night at a small group for evening Rosary and Passover reflection. That evening, in Jerusalem's Upper Room, Jesus performed the washing of the feet, instituted the Eucharist, instituted the Priesthood, and established the New Covenant. 

   This morning, in our community (Community of Grace) we all reenacted Jesus' washing of the feet on the Feast of Passover. It was a great event to wash feet and share the Passover food as one family in Christ Jesus. 

  John 13:4–8 (NJB): and he got up from table, removed his outer garments and, taking a towel, wrapped it round his waist; 5 he then poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel he was wearing. 6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, ‘Lord, are you going to wash my feet?’ 7 Jesus answered, ‘At the moment you do not know what I am doing, but later you will understand.’ 8 ‘Never!’ said Peter. ‘You shall never wash my feet.’Jesus became the most humble servant by performing the most lowly service a servant can perform: washing his master's feet at his house, where he was assigned to serve. He gave this example to his disciples and to all of us as a reminder of how a leader or servant should treat others.

    Luke 22:19–20 (NJB): Then he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, ‘This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.’ 20 He did the same with the cup after supper, and said, ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood poured out for you. Jesus established the New Covenant by donating his own blood in the form of wine to the Apostles. We all attended the church celebration yesterday to receive the Eucharist, which is Jesus Christ's Body and Blood. The Eucharist was instituted during the Passover Supper ceremonies. But Jesus is obviously mentioned here because He shared His Body and Blood with us in order to create or qualify us for His eternal presence in this world. Receiving Holy Communion makes us one flesh and blood with Him for eternity. How wonderful it is, as Centurion remarked, as we pray and recite in the Holy Mass: "Lord, I am not worthy you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed."  St John Chrysostum says about the Holy Eucharist: ‘Do you understand, then, how Christ has united his bride to himself and what food he gives us all to eat? By one and the same food we are both brought into being and nourished. As a woman nourishes her child with her own blood and milk, so does Christ unceasingly nourish with his own blood those to whom he himself has given life.’

  Jesus knew who is going to betray him. Once it is happened everyone will know that he is ‘I am He’. This is same name God revealed to Moses met God first time.  Exodus 3:14 (NJB): God said to Moses, ‘I am he who is.’ And he said, ‘This is what you are to say to the Israelites, “I am has sent me to you.”  The name God gave to Moses was ‘ I Am He who is’ John 13:18–20 (NJB): 8 I am not speaking about all of you: I know the ones I have chosen; but what scripture says must be fulfilled: ‘He who shares my table takes advantage of me.19 I tell you this now, before it happens, so that when it does happen you may believe that I am He. 20 In all truth I tell you, whoever welcomes the one I send, welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me, welcomes the one who sent me.’ Jesus knew who is going to betray and he quote the verses from Psalm. He said that what the scripture says to be filfilled. Psalm 41:9 (NJB): Even my trusted friend on whom I relied who shared my table, takes advantage of me. 

   Luke 22:21–23 (NJB): But look, here with me on the table is the hand of the man who is betraying me. 22 The Son of man is indeed on the path which was decreed, but alas for that man by whom he is betrayed!’ 23 And they began to ask one another which of them it could be who was to do this. All of the apostles were unsure which one of them would betray Jesus. Jesus spoke about Judas' fate and accepted in his heart what would happen to him. 

   Luke 22:31–34 (NJB): Simon, Simon! Look, Satan has got his wish to sift you all like wheat; 32 but I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail, and once you have recovered, you in your turn must strengthen your brothers.’ 33 ‘Lord,’ he answered, ‘I would be ready to go to prison with you, and to death.’ 34 Jesus replied, ‘I tell you, Peter, by the time the cock crows today you will have denied three times that you know me.’ Jesus was aware that Peter would deny him. Jesus understood that we were all weak in his absence. Jesus urged Peter to strengthen the disciples' to them increase their faith. Peter demonstrates his willingness to sacrifice his life for Jesus. However, he turned down Jesus three times in front of a large crowd. Before being crucified, Christ prayed ardently for his beloved apostles and all of the disciples. 

   Luke 22:39–46 (NJB): He then left to make his way as usual to the Mount of Olives, with the disciples following. 40 When he reached the place he said to them, ‘Pray not to be put to the test.’ 41 Then he withdrew from them, about a stone’s throw away, and knelt down and prayed. 42 ‘Father,’ he said, ‘if you are willing, take this cup away from me. Nevertheless, let your will be done, not mine.’ 43 Then an angel appeared to him, coming from heaven to give him strength. 44 In his anguish he prayed even more earnestly, and his sweat fell to the ground like great drops of blood. 45 When he rose from prayer he went to the disciples and found them sleeping for sheer grief. 46 And he said to them, ‘Why are you asleep? Get up and pray not to be put to the test.’ Jesus was in great agony when he implored with God, "If You are willing, take this cup of suffering and death on the Cross away from me." But he never wants to go against God the Father, so he says, "Let His will be done." Here, you can meditate on Jesus' flawless obedience to the Father in Heaven. Jesus is instructing us to pray continually in order to avoid falling into sin against God. Jesus knew that temptations would be present in our lives, so he strengthened us. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Light and Darkness

Part XXXXII Jesus said: “Do not work for food that goes bad, but work for food that endures for eternal life.”   Jesus fed the multitude by ...